A daytime strategy meeting to address the Housing Crisis in Kilburn and London
Called for by Kilburn Unemployed Workers Group
Supported by KUWG, Unite Community membership, and Community Organisers.Everyone is now aware of the dceepening crisis in Housing in London and its impact on local residents and ourcommunities. Over the last two years the Kilburn Unemployed Workers Group has been dealing with — and campaigning on — more and more housing cases in the wider area.
We want to bring together people from across our community for a more united and sustainable response:
- Individuals (especially those with housing problems)
- Tenants and Residents Associations
- Housing and advice workers
- School, community and council rerpresentatives
- Trade Unions and political organisations.
We want to hold an inclusive, participatory strategy meeting so we can begin to:
- share experiences about the housing challenges faced by people in Kilburn and build connections
- help each other cope and find solutions; make our voices heard
- develop and campaign collectively around policies which would begin to meet real housing needs in the area
WE HOPE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO ATTEND AND PUBLICISE THIS MEETING TO OTHERS WHO MAY WANT TO BE INVOLVED:
11AM-1PM, WEDNESDAY 13 AUGUST 2014 @ CASA LATINA
Priory House, 10 Kingsgate Place, London NW6 4TA
(Some of) what's happening now:
- .... Housing insecurity and homelessness; inflated rents and house prices; huge shortage of social housing; overcrowding, disrepair, evictions... displacement
- ... reduction in the Local Housing Allowance (housing benefit for private accommodation), the benefit cap, 'Bedroom Tax', charging Council Tax on Benefits, "Affordable" rent being defined as 80% of the market rate [on a London that is becoming a global billionaires' Monopoly board], spike in benefit sanctions...
- ... Cuts to legal aid, advice, support and language services; no security of tenure in private and social housing; exploitation, bully and victimisation, ...
- ... Low pay and 'zero hour contracts', rogue landlords, loan sharks...
KUWG is part of the Unite Community and the London Coalition Against Poverty and campaigns with Social Work Action Network, Brent Housing Action, Housing 4 All, and the London Radical Housing Network.