Date: 10 August 2014 14:33
Subject: Get the Market out of Housing - meet Tuesday Aug 12th Unite
No to MIPIM meeting
Tuesday, August 12, 7PM,
Unite, 128 Theobalds Road, Holborn WC1X 8TN
Join housing groups from across London to strategise the next stage in the resistance to the MIPIM property fair happening in our city October 15 – 17. This meeting will discuss:
- Building a mass housing demonstration October 15th, 9:30 AM
- An alternative conference against speculation, October 17th
- An international action October 17th, 5PM hosting members of the European Action Coalition for the Right to Housing and the City
- A preparatory cross-London networking meeting on housing and land rights, September 16th
- Building a national network against the marketisation of housing
- The hosting of the next meeting of the European Action Coalition for the Right to Housing and the City, October 19 – 20
What is MIPIM?
MIPIM proudly describes itself as the world's largest property fair, attracting around 20,000 investors, developers, local authorities, and banks each year.
Typically it takes place annually in Cannes, France. This year will see the first MIPIM UK, to be held at London’s Olympia 15-17 October. Billed as ‘the 1st UK property trade show gathering all professionals looking to close deals in the UK property market’ - a gathering of professionals and elites looking to profiteer from UK land and property.
Join local tenant organisations; the Radical Housing Network; the European Action Coalition for the Right to Housing and the City and a range of other groups to say NO to MIPIM: YES to housing justice for all!
Local authorities that attend are on the lookout for potential business partners and corporate interests who'll collaborate on yet more 'regeneration' plans. We don't want more boutique hotels, offices, luxury housing and shopping centres, we don't want our neighbourhoods to be gentrified and entire communities evicted. We want quality affordable housing for all.
We are facing a major housing crisis with prices spiralling out of control, cuts to housing support services, the bedroom tax hitting the most vulnerable, and public land being sold off. Major investors speculate on land and property whilst record numbers of homeless are living on the streets.
MIPIM promotes an unsustainable, privatised and profit-driven approach to housing for the benefit of a small elite, one that destroys our communities and keeps millions in poverty. We say enough is enough. Join community struggles across Europe taking action in the run-up to MIPIM UK. Contact
londonnotforsale AT gmail.com