KUWG on Twitter

Tuesday 9 September 2014

Brent Council's democratic accountability

The following item, by Martin Francis, reminds Swheatie of a Crippen the Disabled Cartoonist cartoon in which the then Disability Minister addresses a group of disabled people with the words: "When we want your opinion, we'll tell you what it is."

Brent, the 'Listening Council', refuses to let me speak but answers an unasked question




Just to keep readers up to date on Brent Council's refusal to let me speak as a deputation last night.

Seconds before the meeting Muhammed Butt, leader of the Council,  came over and took me aside to say he couldn't allow me to speak but he would address my 'question' in his report to the Council.

I had never asked a question but had requested a deputation:
I would like to speak to Full Council on September 8th on the subject of the appointment of a permanent Chief Executive.
There's a touch of Alice In Wonderland here when you are not allowed to speak but the Council decides what question is implied by your request to speak, and then proceeds to answer it....
Continue reading on Martin Francis' Wembley Matters blog ...

PS: Update from Martin Francis:

I get to speak to a Brent Council meeting!

No comments:

Post a Comment